This post may contain affiliate links. If you make purchase after clicking a link, I may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Last Updated on March 30, 2023
What says “comfort food” when you’re sick? For me and mine, it’s chicken noodle soup. It has always been my children’s favorite comfort food.
With our grain free lifestyle, noodles are out. But, fear not! They’ve been replaced by something healthier – something I call “zoodles” or zucchini noodles. The first time I made them, my daughter happily exclaimed, “They don’t even taste like zucchini! They taste like real noodles!”
DOH! No one around here appreciates whole foods cooking…nor my slaving in the kitchen. Will someone please cue up the musical score from The Godfather while I wallow in self pity?
I’ve tried using spaghetti squash as a substitute for noodles. However, though I adore squash in any and every variety, I prefer to grab zucchini when I want the taste of the sauce or broth to shine through, instead of competing with the squashy flavor of “noodles”. (Example: When I make my family’s Italian meat sauce recipe – the real thang “meat swuace” – my daughter and I eat it atop zucchini “noodles”. Whoa Baby!)
This spiralizer works well to make the noodles (or zoodles as we like to call them), but you can also use a vegetable peeler to make flat ribbons like fettuccini. I personally prefer the spaghetti-like noodles because they don’t stick together like the fettuccine kind, but that’s just me. It’s sooooo easy. Enjoy!Print
Chicken No-Noodle Soup (a/k/a Chicken Zoodle Soup – Paleo, AIP, GAPS, SCD)
- 1 recipe Delicious Chicken Stock (10–12 cups)
- 2–3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 2 cups diced celery
- 4 medium to large zucchini, made into noodles
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups cooked shredded or cubed chicken
- Heat a stockpot on medium to medium high. Add olive oil, then onion, carrots, and celery.
- Saute until vegetables begin to soften.
- Remove pot from heat and add garlic, salt and pepper. Stir for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add zucchini noodles and chicken and just heat through.