Last Updated on March 30, 2023
If you knew what was happening in my life right now, you’d wonder why I was blogging…Sometimes you just have to employ yourself.
My husband and I have been trying to add to our family via adoption and started this process five years ago. We signed with a local adoption attorney a couple of months ago, and just found out that we were “picked” by a birth mother. Oh! And by the way – she’s due in three weeks.
So, I’ve been a little busy nesting, (deep cleaning, preparing food for the freezer, sewing and BUYING BABY STUFF). Yippee!
Well, three weeks have flown by and we’re in the waiting room now (been here 4 1/2 hours) and hoping to meet our new little girl soon. There have been tears, prayers and comfort knowing that so many are praying for us and all of the surrounding circumstances.
So, how do you transition from meeting a new little person who is a gift from God and will change your life forever to Carrot Beet Salad with Dates and Toasted Pecans?
I have no idea. I’m losing my mind. But, I hope you enjoy this recipe.
AIP UPDATE: I have since started the AIP diet but this salad can be enjoyed AIP by omitting the mustard, black pepper and toasted pecans.
UPDATE: See my update to our adoption story. BIG FAT Life, BIG FAT Waiting, and The Package Has Been Delivered!Print
Carrot Beet Salad with Dates and Toasted Pecans (Paleo, GAPS, SCD with AIP option)
- 4 large carrots, peeled and shredded
- 2 small beets, peeled and shredded
- 2 small golden beets, peeled and shredded
- 6 dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup pecans, toasted then chopped (omit for AIP)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (omit for strict AIP)
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch of pepper (omit for strict AIP)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Toss shredded carrots, red and golden beets into bowl. (I use food processor to shred carrots and beets.)
- Meanwhile, if your dates are not soft, soak them in warm water for about 15 minutes. Once softened, carefully slice in half and remove pit. Chop into small pieces. Add to carrots and beets.
- Make the dressing – In a small bowl, whisk balsamic vinegar with Dijon mustard and spices. While whisking, slowly add olive oil in a steady stream. This will allow oil to incorporate evenly.
- Pour dressing over carrot, beet and date mixture and toss to combine.
- Serve with toasted pecans on top.
- NOTE: This salad is pretty sweet. The chopped pecans help to cut the sweetness. If it’s too sweet for your taste buds, eliminate the dates.