Last Updated on September 7, 2016
This Apple Mango Salsa is quick and easy to prepare and tastes great on its own for lunch, as a dinner side dish or atop grilled fish.
Our favorite way to eat it is on top of salmon or mahi rubbed with Miss Jen’s Spice Rub and grilled. (UPDATE – now that I’m AIP I would just brush fish with olive oil and season with sea salt (or smoked salt), onion powder, and garlic powder and either grill or broil.) When we were gluten eaters, we’d wrap the grilled fish and salsa in a flour tortilla.
If you’d like to make fish tacos, here are a few recipe options for grain-free tortillas:
AIP Plantain Wraps (Simple and Merry) – this is my favorite and a staple in our house
AIP Tortillas (He Won’t Know It’s Paleo)
Simple Paleo Tortillas (Stupid Easy Paleo)
- 2 Braeburn apples, cored and diced (may use Gala, Fuji, or any firm, crisp apple)
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and diced
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1 lime
- sea salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste (omit for strict AIP)
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional - see note)
- In a medium bowl, toss together the apple, mango, red onion and cilantro. Add olive oil and lime juice and mix well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- NOTE: if the mango is ripe, I don't think this needs any honey. If you prefer things on the sweet side, whisk the lime juice with the honey and then whisk in olive oil. Pour over apple mango mixture.