I’d love to begin this post with some peppy one-liners and puns because “offal” and “awful” are just too perfect to pass up, but I believe it’s been done a time or two, so I will spare you my pathetic attempt at comedy (this time).
If you’re not yet convinced organ meat is good for you, then please read Chris Kresser’s article “Liver: Nature’s Most Potent Superfood” and The Paleo Mom’s “Why Everyone Should Be Eating Organ Meat“.
Once you warm up to the idea of consuming offal, you will find Chris Kresser’s article “How to Eat More Organs” extremely helpful. He outlines which organ meat might help make the transition from muscle to organ easier and also provides links to recipes which will help with preparation. In addition, Eileen Laird of the blog, Phoenix Helix, has an Organ Love Series featuring many wonderful recipes.
I’m organizing this recipe round up by organ type: heart, liver (divided into liverwurst and pates, and straight liver recipes), kidneys, and “miscellaneous” – which will include tongue, sweetbreads, feet, gizzards, and bone marrow.
- Grilled Beef Heart (The Healthy Foodie – omit pepper for strict AIP)
- Easy Pan-Fried Chicken Hearts with Garlic and Herbs (Comfort Bites)
- Heart Roast (The Paleo Mom)
- Grilled Chicken Hearts with Cilantro Vinaigrette (Food, Fashion, and Fun – omit red pepper flakes and sub honey or maple syrup for agave to make AIP)
- Mushroom and Spinach-Stuffed Beef Heart (The Healthy Foodie – omit black pepper and sub mace for nutmeg)
- Caramelized Balsamic Leek Turkey Hearts (Beyond the Bite)
- Homemade German Liverwurst (Homemade in Montana – sub cinnamon for cardamom, and omit optional coriander and black pepper)
- Liver Pate (my BIG FAT grain free life)
- Braunschweiger Liver Sausage (Wedliny Domowe – omit pepper and sub cinnamon and mace for nutmeg)
- Blueberry Balsamic Beef Liver Pate (The Primalist)
- Chicken Liver Pate with Sage, Apple and Thyme (Kitchn – sub another fat of choice for butter)
- Italian Pate with Fried Anchovies, Capers & Lemon (Meatified)
- Asian Beef Liver Pate (Beyond the Bite)
- Greek Liver Skewers with Cilantro Tzatziki (Grazed and Enthused)
- Paleo/AIP Dirty “Rice” (Salixisme)
- Balsamic Liver Lettuce Boats (Where the Wild Rose Grows”
- Chicken Livers with Mushrooms and Herbs (Mark’s Daily Apple – sub coconut or avocado oil for butter, omit the optional creme fraiche)
- Best Liver Recipe Ever (Starlight’s Kitchen)
- Garlic Fried Chicken Livers (Grazed and Enthused)
- Pork and Chicken Liver Terrine with Spiced Apple Compote (Healing Family Eats)
- Hidden Liver Mediterranean Burgers (Beyond the Bite)
- Hidden Liver Meatloaf & Simple Gravy (Salixisme)
- Steak and Kidney Pie (The Curious Coconut)
- Irish Kidney Soup (Paleo Leap – omit peppercorns)
- Paleo Steak and Kidney Pie (Salixisme)
- Beef Kidney Kofta with Spinach and Figs (Whole Life Full Soul)
The Curious Coconut has an excellent tutorial on how to prepare beef tongue. The recipe she uses is not AIP-compliant, however (though it looks delicious).
- Tender Beef Tongue with Onions and Garlic (Mark’s Daily Apple)
- Offal (but not awful) Stew (The Paleo Mom)
- Fried Chicken Nuggets – Gizzard Style (Beyond the Bite)
- Grilled Sweetbreads with Balsamic Glaze (Phoenix Helix)
- Herb Marrow Butter (Beyond the Bite)
- Roasted Bone Marrow (Squirrel in the Kitchen)
- Instant Pot Bone Broth with Chicken Feet (Raising Generation Nourished)
- Beef Bone Broth (Phoenix Helix)