Last Updated on March 30, 2023
I came up with this “creamed” spinach quite awhile ago after a craving for it came upon me. I cannot truthfully say that my kids particularly enjoy creamed spinach, or any spinach for that matter. But my husband and I loved it.Print
“Creamed” Spinach (Paleo, SCD, GAPS, Dairy Free option, Grain Free)
- 1/4 cup ghee
- 2 (16 oz.) containers of fresh spinach, stems trimmed
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic pressed or minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- dash nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups cashew milk
- 1/2 to 1 cup Pecorino Romano, grated (optional)
- Heat large saute pan on medium to medium-low.
- Add ghee. Saute onion until soft. Add spinach. Cover.
- Continue stirring until spinach wilts but doesn’t overcook. Remove cover.
- Add garlic, salt, and pepper and stir.
- Remove spinach mixture and place in a fine sieve set on top of a bowl to drain off some water. Set aside.
- In same saute pan, add cashew milk. Stir until bubbly and thickening.
- Add dash of nutmeg and stir.
- Add spinach and stir to coat.
- Place in shallow glass baking pan or quiche dish.
- Top with Pecorino Romano if desired.
- Place baking dish under broiler for a few minutes until golden and bubbly.