I’ve always been a soup person – winter, spring, summer, fall – I make soup. I find it nourishing, satisfying and if I have homemade bone broth on hand in the freezer, it’s a breeze to throw together. This soup was one of those throw-it-together soups, and we all really enjoyed it.
I used a recipe developed by Mel at The Clothes Make the Girl for Slow-Cooker Italian Roast – but I did it with a chuck roast (as opposed to pork). I like to keep the meat on hand in the freezer for easy meals or emergency protein. Recipe for the soup to follow…
Just wanted to let you know, I’m not going to post every day for the next 28 days. Mostly because I’ll be repeating a lot of the things I’ve eaten over the last 32 days and don’t want to bore you to death. I’ve got a few new recipes in the works that I will be sharing with you in the days/weeks to come.
If you’re currently on an autoimmune protocol, or considering it, I hope these posts have been helpful. I’m not going away for long – I’ll check in periodically! So don’t forget about me!
- about 1 gallon of homemade bone broth (chicken or beef would work well - I used a combo)
- 2-3 tablespoons of e.v.o.o. or coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 small-medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 stalks celery, stringy side peeled and sliced
- ½ head of cabbage, thinly sliced
- sea salt to taste
- sprig of fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups shredded beef (approximately)
- Heat a 6 quart stock pot to medium. Add 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil or e.v.o.o then add onion, carrots and celery. Stir for several minutes until onion is soft.
- Next, add cabbage and stir until starting to wilt.
- Add bone broth, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to slow boil.
- Just before serving, throw in shredded beef to warm through.
- Salt to taste.
Same protein shake as usual
leftover cubed steak – hold the onions; golden cauliflower soup
Beef and Cabbage Soup