Last Updated on May 2, 2019
January marks an extremely important time of celebration for TWO people in my immediate family…Her Royal Fluffiness and yours truly. On HRF’s first birthday, I decided to make a grain free chocolate cupcake topped with a delicious dairy free date-sweetened chocolate mousse (that is to DIE for). Here’s a picture of her enjoying said birthday cupcake…
Can you feel the chocolate love? All Miss Thang could do was turn her face away, grimace, and SPIT OUT the chocolate! No matter how many times I tried, she would NOT have it. So, my thoughts were, “
Hey, more for me!” “Poor darling doesn’t enjoy chocolate…”
When my birthday rolled around, we enjoyed a wonderful dinner, prepared by my lil’ Italian mother who loves nothing more than to feed people who enjoy food. That’s where
I we come in. But what did you expect? My first word was “toast” (True story. It’s documented in my baby book.) Gluten addictions run deep over here, very deep. But I digress…
My mom has always been very supportive of the dietary path we’ve chosen for our food sensitivities and gut “issues” and always takes great care to cook within our needs. I knew it would be a delicious dinner and could rest easy that my girlie and I wouldn’t have tummy troubles later.
Since it was my birthday and I was craving a lemon cake Not wanting her to be bogged down with making dinner AND dessert, I offered to bring the birthday cake!
My mom and stepfather happen to have the most beautiful Meyer lemon tree. The lemons that come off of this tree are usually mistaken for oranges, as they are richly colored and bulging with juice. Can you hear it? I n s p i r a t i o n.
I went to work creating this grain free, dairy free, refined sugar free Luscious Lemon Torte. Why? Because I’m hungry and I like food that tastes good, that’s why. I decided to keep this cake at one layer, but it would be easy enough to double the recipe for the cake and filling and enjoy it as a beautifully layered cake.
Baking NOTE – I’d like to say if you’re not using my favorite pan in the whole world, (here’s why it’s my favorite) then grease your baking pan and line the bottom with parchment, just to be sure it releases easily.
Back to Her Royal Fluffiness – chocolate might not be her thing, but lemon definitely is. She could not get enough of this cake. She put her chubby little fingers in it right before I shot this photo…
Shared on Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Allergy Free Wednesday, Wheat Free Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, and Gluten Free Friday…
Luscious Lemon Torte (grain free, dairy free, refined sugar free)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked navy beans (soaked 24 hours, drained, rinsed, cooked until soft)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (gluten free)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon flavoring (I love Simply Organic brand)
- 1/4 cup melted ghee (or butter)
- 1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour (I use Honeyville)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked 3-6 hours)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3–4 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon flavoring (I favor Simply Organic brand)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind, plus more for garnish
- Lemon Filling: (make ahead)
- Drain cashews. Add all ingredients (cashews through lemon rind) to blender and blend on high until very smooth. Scrape down sides and blend again.
- Place in covered container and refrigerate at least one hour.
- For Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease 8 or 9 inch round cake pan. If not using my favorite pan, line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In blender or food processor, add all wet ingredients (navy beans through ghee). Blend or process until very smooth.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk dry ingredients.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Allow cake to cool in pan 20 minutes. Turn out onto cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- Once cake has cooled, transfer to serving dish. Spread lemon filling on top. If desired, garnish with grated lemon zest.
- Store cake in refrigerator. Enjoy!