Last Updated on March 30, 2023
I mentioned in my previous post on Apricot Chicken Salad, that I don’t usually like traditional chicken salad “dripping with mayo”. I spoke of my dear Aunt Nettie’s recipe for chicken salad made with roasted red peppers, garlic, parsley and olive oil. (I’m salivating now…)
After obtaining hearty permission from my cousins on the matter, I am sharing this delicious family recipe with you. My cousin Luanne’s response to my request for permission to post this recipe was, and I quote, “Make the people happy!”
With that in mind, here’s the recipe. And I hope, from the bottom of my heart, that it does it’s job – and makes you happy.Print
Aunt Nettie’s Chicken Salad with Roasted Red Peppers and Garlic (Paleo, SCD, GAPS, grain free, dairy free)
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1–2 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Line oven rack with aluminum foil. Turn oven on to broil.
- Place red pepper on foil and roast until the skin turns black. Using tongs, rotate pepper so it chars on all sides.
- Remove from oven and place in a bowl with foil on top. Allow the pepper to sit as the steam loosens the skin.
- Once cool enough to handle, peel pepper and pull out the stem and sends. Rinse pepper to get seeds off, if needed.
- Dice the pepper.
- In a large bowl, add chicken, diced pepper, garlic and parsley.
- Add enough olive oil to coat and salt and pepper, to taste. Stir with a large fork.
- This chicken salad is better the longer it sits as the flavors have a chance to meld.