Last Updated on March 30, 2023
Chicken salad… the thought of it used to make me gag. (Please excuse my colorful language and the uncouth picture I just placed in your mind. Ahem.) Bear with me, I’m Italian and chicken salad dripping in mayo wasn’t exactly something I grew up eating. (Although my Aunt Nettie made a killer chicken salad made with olive oil, fresh garlic and roasted red peppers….now THAT’S my kinda chicken salad!)
After living in the South (say-yowth) so long, I’ve come to enjoy a cracker chicken salad (oops, there I go with colorful phrases again, excuse me), as long as it’s not soggy with mayo.
I love this dish served in a ripe, hollowed out tomato, or scooped on top of a big salad. It’s easy to throw together and makes a nice lunch or light supper.Print
Apricot Chicken Salad with Blanched Almonds (Paleo, GAPS, SCD, dairy free)
- 5 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup unsulfured dried apricots, diced
- 3/4 cup blanched slivered almonds
- scallions (optional)
- 3/4 cup Avocado Mayo
- 1 tablespoon dijon or course grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Toast almonds in preheated 300F oven until fragrant and barely golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, toss together first five ingredients (including cooled almonds).
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Pour over chicken mixture and stir well to combine.
- Top with scallions if desired.