I want to thank a couple of friends (Marti and Charlotte) for telling me about the Pioneer Woman’s post for Perfect Iced Coffee. LIFE SAVER…
As you might have read, we have a newborn in the house – thus the need for Mommy to have a little go-juice to help me get through the day. (Can someone please tell me when newborns sleep through the night?)
Anyhoo, P-dub makes two gallons of this delightful nectar, but I scaled it down to one gallon. In addition, too much caffeine gives me a whopping headache, so I used two-thirds decaf coffee to one-third regular. I prefer to use a decaf that doesn’t use chemicals to remove the caffeine. If a coffee is labeled “organic” you can be pretty sure it’s safe from being chemically processed, but I would contact the company and read labels to be certain. I found out that the Fresh Market Decaf Blend, one of my favorites, uses a water process to remove the caffeine.
Here’s my version of P-dubs Perfect Iced Coffee. Though it lacks half-and-half and sweetened condensed milk (sigh), I think it’s pretty good and, at this stage in my life, a gift from the Lord to help me get and/or keep moving.
Onward and upward! I think I hear laundry calling…
- 3 oz. regular organic coffee (freshly ground)
- 6 oz. organic decaf coffee (freshly ground)
- 1 gallon filtered water
- cashew milk, to taste
- Evenly divide the ground coffees into two half gallon mason jars.
- Add water and allow to steep overnight.
- Strain through a small sieve lined with an unbleached coffee filter (or paper towels).
- Keep refrigerated.
- I love it on ice with agave nectar or stevia to sweeten.
- (P-dub says the coffee (not with added cashew milk) keeps for about a month in the fridge.)