Last Updated on March 30, 2023
For me, eggnog is tied to childhood memories of Christmas. My mom didn’t allow us to have many sweets growing up, especially sugary drinks. (But she did make up for it in pasta and bread.) At Christmastime, however, I remember indulging in the sweet taste of cold eggnog (eggnog the drink and Baskin Robbins eggnog ice cream….mmmmmm). I looked forward to it every year.
This recipe is based on Alton Brown’s Eggnog – which has received rave reviews from hundreds of home cooks. I left out the bourbon, made it dairy free, and used coconut sugar (which has a lower glycemic index) in place of regular sugar.
Please note – there are raw egg yolks in this recipe- so consume at your own risk.
I think we’ve found a new family tradition! Speaking of family traditions….I have to share this. We (ok, I) decided it would be fun to string popcorn and cranberries for a make-our-own garland for the Christmas tree. We made a fun night of it with family and friends. We all had a great time and unanimously decided that we had found a new family tradition.
About a week-and-a-half later, my daughter discovered some uninvited guests….
Have a very merry Christmas everyone! Look to the Christ – the Messiah “who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.” 2 Corinthians 5:21
Shared on Allergy Free Thursdays.Print
Eggnog (Paleo, GAPS, SCD, Dairy Free, Refined Sugar Free)
- 10 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup PLUS 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 4 cups cashew milk
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla
- honey (optional)
- Zap the coconut sugar in a coffee grinder or mini food processor to make it into a fine powder.
- In a standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk the egg yolks until they are pale yellow.
- Gradually add in coconut sugar and whisk until dissolved. (about 5 minutes)
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- If you prefer a sweeter egg nog, you may add honey a tablespoon at a time, to taste.
- Refrigerate until very cold. Shake well before serving.