If you have an Instant Pot, you know how awesome it is. I LOVE mine! I feel like you know you are a grown-up (or have an autoimmune disease) when things like pressure cookers can make you so happy!
I use my Instant Pot A LOT. I make bone broth weekly and also love to use it to make coconut milk yogurt. I have used this recipe a lot and I love how creamy it makes my yogurt! Just be sure not to use too many probiotics or you might end up with cottage cheese (ask me how I know that!)
Hands-down my favorite use for the Instant Pot is Bone Broth. Instead of 24+ hours, you can get gelatinous broth in just 2 hours. Cooking it less also lowers the glutamic acid, which can cause problems for some people.
I really like the saute feature so I can sear my roast before turning on the pressure instead of dirtying up another pan (my teenager who does dishes appreciates that!) I plan to make some homemade applesauce soon (fall always makes me want to do that!) and I love making yummy soups in it.
I have the 6 Quart 7-in-1 model and I haven’t found many cons about it. There are some things that bug me a little, like my large mason jars will not fit in it (to make yogurt) so I have to use 2 smaller ones. There is an 8 Quart Instant Pot that is definitely on my wish list – because who doesn’t need 2 Instant Pots?? At times is seems to take a while for the pressure to build and the count-down to start, so I have to incorporate that time into my estimated cooking time. I have also found that sometimes when cooking a roast and using the recommended settings that it is a little tough, so I have added a bit of time to it to compensate.
So – which one do you get? It really depends on your needs and budget.
The Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker 6 Quart – is the one most people purchase because it is right in the middle of size and cost. Here are the features:
- 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Cooker–Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Saute/Browning, Yogurt Maker, Steamer & Warmer.
- Large, easy to use control panel with 14 Micro-Processor controlled programs, Dual pressure, Automatic keep-warm and 3 temperatures for saute and slow cook
- UL and ULC certified with 10 proven safety mechanisms; Highly energy efficient and kitchen friendly
- Includes 3-ply bottom stainless steel cooking pot, stainless steel steam rack with handle & manual and recipes in English, Spanish, Chinese and French
- 14 Micro-Processor controlled programs: Soup, Meat/Stew, Bean/Chili, Poultry, Sauté, Steam, Rice, Porridge, Multigrain, Slow Cook, Keep-Warm, Yogurt, Pasteurize and Fermented Rice (Jiu Niang)
- Dual pressure settings for fast and flexible cooking. Cooking with the high pressure reduces cooking time by up to 70% and the low pressure avoids overcooking delicate food.
- 3-ply bottom Food Grade 304 (18/8) stainless steel cooking pot for durability
- Finger-print resistant brushed stainless steel exterior
Shortly after my Instant Pot arrived my crock pot broke. Instead of purchasing a new one, I just decided to use my Instant Pot. Surprisingly with the round shape I can still put a large roast or whole chicken in it without squishing it.