Let’s be honest, when you make a life-changing decision to do an autoimmune protocol diet (a/k/a AIP), the feeling of deprivation sets in at some point… Allow me to remind you…
My feelings on this subject have not changed.
Dear Tomatoes. My love for you has never waned. I hope to enjoy you in Heaven some day…along with butter, figs, brie and flaky pastry. (sniffle)
Just when my daughter and I were dreaming about the days when we ate pizza, (somehow those daydreaming moments never include the horror film bathroom scenes) I see this recipe for a plantain pizza crust by Simple and Merry – who, I might add, is a culinary GENIUS.
Who knew that plantains could morph into such goodness as plantain wraps and pizza? This recipe has become our Friday family night tradition and one I hope you will enjoy.
Here’s my take on AIP pizza.
- 1 recipe [url href=”http://www.thepaleomom.com/2014/07/guest-post-mary-lapp-ham-pineapple-pizza-autoimmune-protocol-friendly.html” target=”_blank”]plantain pizza crust[/url]
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple butter (I use Kime’s brand)
- 3 tablespoons [url href=”http://amzn.to/2bMW68b” target=”_blank”]coconut aminos[/url]
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin (omit for strict AIP – I’ve made both ways and each is delicious)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked salt
- 12 oz. chopped bacon, cooked until crisp and drained
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- [b]NOTE:[/b] If desired, saute the red onion in coconut oil. I prefer it raw.
- Make the plantain pizza recipe according to the directions. I prefer my pizza to be thin and crispy, so I’ve been making one recipe for four individual pizzas. The toppings above are enough for one larger pizza or two small individual pizzas. (My kids prefer pizza sauce, uncured pepperoni and Daiya cheese for their pizzas. All I can say is “Yuck”.)
- While the crusts are on the first bake, mix together the ingredients for the glaze.
- Pull out the pizza crust(s) and spoon a heavy layer of glaze on top. Next, layer the cooked chicken, bacon and red onion.
- Return to oven for the second bake.
- Once pizza is hot and edges crispy, remove and top with fresh cilantro.