Cauliflower…never been a real fan to be honest. Wow. A food I haven’t loved. This is a first for me…well, there was an incident in my childhood involving beets at the dinner table but I’ll spare you the details.
Thanks to a friend who opened my eyes to the joy of cauliflower when it’s drenched in sauce! She told me about Ina Garten’s Cauliflower Gratin recipe and how much her family ADORED it. So, I tweaked a few things using cashew milk as the sauce base. Wowza! Instant veggie-love. I’ve made it several times and my kids always cheer. I made it for Thanksgiving and my big brother, (one of three) who is NOT a cauliflower fan (and very lactose intolerant) loved it.
I use a combination of raw cheddar cheese and either Pecorino Romano or Parmesan in the sauce. The raw cheddar doesn’t bother my girlie (or any of us for that matter) but if you’re worried about using it, you can just use all Romano/Parmesan or leave the cheese out entirely. The cashew cream is tasty on its own.
The cauliflower gets topped with breadcrumbs made from my Yummy Grain Free Bread.
- 1 large head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3 tablespoons ghee (or olive oil or butter), divided
- 2 cups cashew milk
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup shredded raw cheddar cheese (optional)
- ½ cup grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan (optional)
- 2 slices Yummy Grain Free Bread, toasted
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add cauliflower florets and cook 5-6 minutes. Drain. Run cold water over cauliflower and drain again. (Or drench in an ice water bath. Drain well.)
- Place well-drained cauliflower in a small casserole dish (glass pie pan or quiche dish works well too).
- Melt 2 tablespoons ghee in a medium saucepan. Add cashew milk, pepper, nutmeg and salt. Whisk and bring to a boil. Add cheese(s) if using and continue whisking until thickened to coat the back of a spoon. This should take a few minutes. Don’t let it get too thick and gloppy. If it’s too thick, add some water or more cashew milk to thin out.
- Pour sauce over cauliflower and give a little stir to make sure it’s all coated.
- Pulse toasted grain free bread in a mini food processor or just break it up with a fork in a small bowl. Sprinkle crumbs on top of cauliflower and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of melted ghee.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.