Years ago, I came across a recipe for Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Pecan and Marshmallow Streusel from Tyler Florence of The Food Network that instantly became a Thanksgiving family tradition.
I just revamped it tonight subbing quinoa flakes for the all-purpose flour and coconut sugar for the light brown sugar. It came out of the oven a winner. I hope you think so too.
As an aside, quinoa is not a grain but a seed and though it is not SCD “legal”, I find we are able to tolerate it well at this stage of our intestinal health.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!
- 8-10 small sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup quinoa flakes
- 1/4 cup blanched almond flour (I use [url href=”http://amzn.to/2bxpYIg” target=”_blank”]Honeyville[/url])
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup pecan pieces
- 1/2 cup ghee, or fat of choice, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Scrub sweet potatoes and prick with a fork. Bake in oven on parchment-lined baking pan until cooked through (45 mins to 1 hour).
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine coconut sugar, quinoa flakes, almond flour, cinnamon, salt and pecans.
- Add ghee one tablespoon at a time and mix with a fork until well combined.
- When sweet potatoes have finished baking, make a slice in the top lengthwise and push ends together to open.
- Stuff lots of the streusel topping inside.
- Bake again for 10-15 minutes or until brown and bubbly. (Watch carefully so pecans do not burn.)