White navy beans are easy for my daughter and me to digest if soaked and prepared according to the SCD diet. I use this recipe as the base for my Carnitas (Mexican Pulled Pork) as you can see in the picture. I serve the carnitas with guacamole, salsa, extra cilantro, and a squeeze of lime.
White navy beans are so versatile. The specific recipe below is how I would prepare them for the Carnitas. If you are making something like White Bean Hummus or White Bean Mango Salad with Honey Lime Dressing, just omit the garlic, pancetta (or bacon), and onion, and proceed with the recipe.
- 3 cups dried white navy beans (rinsed, picked over and soaked 24 hours)
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/2″ slice of pancetta, diced (or 1/2 pkg uncured bacon)
- 1 onion, diced
- salt & pepper
- Drain beans.
- In large pot, saute diced pancetta until crispy and fat is rendering.
- Add onion and saute until soft.
- Add drained, soaked beans and smashed garlic. Add enough water to cover beans by 2 inches.
- Bring to a boil then turn heat down, but make sure it’s still simmering at a low boil.
- Cook for about two hours, adding water if necessary, until beans are tender.
- Salt and pepper to taste.