In an effort to remain true to my original Facebook post stating that I’d be posting “staples” this week, I wanted to post this gluten-free spice rub recipe.I use this rub primarily on fish, but I think it would be great on chicken too. (Post in the comments and let me know if you use it on chicken or something else. I’d love to know and try it myself!) The recipe makes a LOT. I make a large batch and store it in a mason jar in the pantry. I presume it would keep about 6 months to a year. I’ve also given it as gifts in pint-sized jars. I have found that purchasing organic spices in bulk online is saves a lot of greenbacks and is easy to do.
I will be posting a recipe in the near future for Grilled Mahi with Apple Mango Salsa for which I specifically use this rub. I’ve also crusted salmon filets in the rub and then pan-fried in olive oil. Delish….which reminds me… I need to do that again.
This recipe uses coconut sugar, a/k/a coconut palm sugar which has a low glycemic index and a subtle sweetness. It reminds me of brown sugar, though does not contain molasses. Although coconut sugar is not SCD legal, we find it does’ bother our tummies in the least, especially since we use it in such small amounts.
- 1 cup [url href=”http://amzn.to/2cipubX” target=”_blank”]smoked paprika[/url]
- 1/2 cup [url href=”http://amzn.to/2bpGV7m” target=”_blank”]organic granulated garlic[/url]
- 1/2 cup [url href=”http://amzn.to/2byHv1w” target=”_blank”]organic granulated onion[/url]
- 1/4 cup sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups [url href=”http://amzn.to/2byGsid”]coconut sugar[/url]
- Mix everything together in a large bowl with a whisk. If the coconut sugar is lumpy, press it with the back of a spoon and mix well.
- Store in a clean, dry jar with a tight-fitting lid.